-

Saturday 25 July 2015

Creative Online Teaching Portfolios



It occurred to me the other day that there is  probably a better way to present myself to possible clients/employers than to lug my presentation binders with me.  After all, I specialize in Instructional Technology, so why not take advantage of that?

Like the current battle between Kindle and books, I still like the paper aspect.  I like holding the product in my hands and I think others appreciate its simplicity.  Just whip out the portfolio and turn to the correct page.  Prospective clients/employers can pass it around and flip through it to their heart's content.  With that said though, I don't feel comfortable letting my portfolio out of my sight.  It contains originals of many artifacts and its loss would be detrimental.  So, I decided to see what online portfolios have to offer.  Here are two of my favorite ones:

I've sung the praises of Prezi before.  It's not really what you would identify as a portfolio, but I like the way that it allows me to go to any page in any order and I can include images, videos, and even PowerPoint presentations in addition to text.  I also like that the templates allow me to put some graphic design (not my strong suit) into the Prezi giving it that added touch of professionalism.  Plus, I can have an educator account that allows me to have 500 MB (in comparison to the regular free account with 100 MB), a way to make my Prezis private and I can even hold an online meeting.


I also like Wikispaces as a unique solution.  I can use a free account (with additional benefits for educators) and if I get a little creative, I can password protect it giving access to only people who I want to see my personal information.  I have all of the usual bells and whistles at my fingertips like links, images, videos,  and even code.  Plus, I can create unlimited pages up to 2GB of content to make it a one-of-a-kind way to show off my skills.