-

Sunday 19 April 2015

Social Bookmarking

I have recently moved my bookmarks from Delicious.  Not for the reason that everyone else did- because of word that Delicious may shut down- but because it is my job to experiment with different services and try to determine which has the best tool set for educators. I have two leading favorites at this point- one is a popular alternative to Delicious and the other is a hidden gem.


Diigo has been a popular alternative to Delicious and has many features worth writing about.  For starters in addition to bookmarking web istes, users can also bookmark images, sticky-note and/or highlight web pages.  These features make Diigo a great tool for researching or just for reminding yourself why you bookmarked a page. Users can easily import bookmarks from an html file and tag/bungle them for organization.

Zootool is a hidden gem that I uncovered. What I like about Zootool is that is has a simple interface.  It is not clogged with tagged entries and looks very organized.  Users can still easily access these properties, but they are neatly under wraps until needed.  The best thing about Zootool is that it stores the bookmarked pages or images as a thumbnail.  So, without making any notes, I can see the visual and remember why I bookmarked it in the first place.